Game Brainstorm

 So this week we were required to start thinking up ideas for what possible games we could try to develop for our final assignment this semester. And after some research I came up with a few ideas that I may put into practice in the next few weeks.


Game #1 - Drinking Board Game

During lockdown the boredom really set in about 3 months after it started and all I was doing was basically sleeping and gaming but even that was starting to become lackluster at some stages. Thankfully I did find a YouTube video talking about making their own drinking board game, it's pretty much snakes and ladders for adults. But of course as most nights mixed with alcohol go there's bound to be some minor spills at the very least which gave me the idea for a digital version. 



Layout of the original game

The basic idea is you roll a normal dice and make your way up the board and try be the first to get to the end without having to drink too much. There are ways to mess up you opponents such as giving them shots or dares so this definitely makes for a fun game night.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5zqCr5bpjU

Game #2 - Projectile Launcher (Angry Birds/Crush the Castle)

When I had first started out playing games it was mostly on sites like Max Games or Armor Games where there were thousands of free games to pick and chose from, but I remember always steering towards games where I had to throw or launch something to destroy a tower or some sort. I think this could be something fun to try and code as it does involve a small amount of physics and would be a fun challenge for me to overcome.


Original Crush the Castle game.

Source: https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/abs/10.1119/1.2824001?journalCode=pte

Game #3 - 2d Shooter

2d shooters are not something I've really had much experience with in the past, or at least not since I was very young anyways as 3d games have become far more mainstream in the past few years. However, I do remember enjoying games such as Space Invader and I think that would be interesting to try and make but something is also reasonably achievable and not out of my reach.



Raze, a more complex 2d shooter


Source: https://github.com/albertobeta/2D-SpaceShooter


Game #4 - Horror Game

This idea is very appealing to me mostly because I love the idea of watching someone panic for half an hour playing a game I created. I've never been too interested in horror games myself - mostly because I'm terrified 99% of the time - but I do like the concept of making a horror game. The only thing I wouldn't really know is whether to make it like a very basic zombie survival game or more like a jump scare game that would have people on edge the whole time, that would be the main development issue I'd have to figure out.



2d survival game

Source: https://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials/3603155/5-best-2d-horror-games-past-decade/

Comments

  1. Hi Sean! I had fun reading about your game ideas especially the drinking board game. I feel like that's a very unique direction to take, I kind of picture a ps4 monopoly game or uno which i can't wait to see done in the second semester. I was just wondering how will you implement the 3d aspect into your board game? I have seen countless board games such as Uno, Cluedo etc being implemented into 3d games but I haven't seen a drinking board game. How would the players interact with the game? I feel like it's a good direction to take because a lot of the game ideas are based on one players so I'm looking forward to seeing that. A suggestion for the 3d elements would be to make the board game and the dice 3d so the player can rotate it and zoom in and out sort of like monopoly? Maybe the player can move themselves to different stages instead of the computer doing it? Anyway have a good day - Anna

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment