Feedback Strategies

Article #1 - Why do so many managers avoid giving praise?

Link: https://hbr.org/2017/05/why-do-so-many-managers-avoid-giving-praise

 This article immediately stood out to me from the list as it's something like myself and so many others alike face on a day-to-day basis. I would say that my own personal experience with managerial feedback has been mixed. I've been in my current job for 3 1/2 years now and I was only 16 starting out, a lot has changed in those few years. From then until now feedback has most definitely changed as now I know how to do my job properly and effectively, but as a timid 16 year old that wasn't the case.


 I was incredibly shocked to see some of the statistics from surveys on the article. I was baffled by the second table showing that 73% of managers give back mostly negative feedback to their staff. I do agree with the statement 'Perhaps in an effort to provide employees with what they believe is direct, honest feedback, managers who prefer giving negative feedback may come across as only looking for what's wrong'. My job is mostly consisting of younger people around my age and some even younger and this is common enough in my place of work. A manager could say the exact same thing to two people but can very easily be misconceived as an insult or negative criticism 

 I would like to believe that in most cases managers have the best interests of their employees at heart and don't want to upset them, with 44% of people even saying that they dreaded giving any kind of feedback to people. The article also mentions that the neglect of positive feedback could be warranted by the fact that they don't want to be seen and the pushover manager or that too much positive feedback leads to a poor work ethic with employees getting too comfortable in their position.

 This article was definitely and interesting read. Before I only had one perspective on the matter whereas now I've got a good understanding of the other side of the issue. I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is struggling in work with receiving feedback from managers.


Article #2 - Be a Mirror

Link: https://literacyworldwide.org/blog/literacy-now/2015/12/08/be-a-mirror-give-readers-feedback-that-fosters-a-growth-mindset

 I chose this article purely based on the tagline as it caught my eye. I wasn't too sure what this was going to be before reading it but after I have a good idea of what the message is. 'Being a mirror' is about positive reinforcements for younger people, its about adapting to there way of learning to help them and not about changing their natural way of learning and causing them unnecessary struggles.




It talks about how beneficial this method of reinforcement can be for students. However, this isn't a one method fits all type thing, it's more like play dough that can molded and fitted to each person because everyone learns different. 

I like the phrase 'without feedback there can be no transformative change' used in the article. It brings up the emphasis for feedback but in an interchangeable way for everyone.

Comments